Monday, February 20, 2006
Agricore was created by the merging of Manitoba Wheat Pool and the Alberta Wheat Pool in November 1997. There are 29 Agricore Elevators in Alberta, 6 are abandoned, 16 are privately owned, and 7 are owned by independent companies.
Located on Highway 21 and 53 17 kilometres north of Mirror on the CN (previously Grand Trunk Pacific) line from Camrose to Calgary. This elevator was built by Alberta Wheat Pool in 1982 and was closed in 2001. It is now privately owned.
Bawlf is about 25 km SE of Camrose on Highway 13, and is situated on the CP line running from Wetaskwin to Provost. This elevator is now owned by Canada Malting Limited.
Blackie is on the CP line running from Aldersyde to Kipp, about 17 kilometres east and 2 miles north of High River on Highway 23. This elevator was built in 1967, and by 2004 it was privately owned.
This elevator was located on the CP main line from Calgary to Edmonton and on highway 2A 22 kilometres north of Crossfield, Carstairs' Agricore elevator was destroyed Oct. 13, 2004. The Carstairs Co-op now has a gas station on this location.
Chauvin is on the CN (formerly GTP) line running from Edmonton to the Saskatchewan border. It is located about 44 kilometres east of Wainwright on Highway 14, and about 14 kilometres south on Range Road 2-1. It is now owned by Schopfer Farms.
Dapp is located 21 kilometres north of Westlock on Highway 44, and 2 miles west on Secondary 661.
This elevator was originally a Home Grain, built in 1924, and became a an Alberta Wheat Pool in 1939. It is now privately owned.
Dunmore is located about 14 kilometres SE of Medicine Hat on Highway 3. I don't have any history on this elevator, but it is associated with a HTP facility.
Elk Point, Alberta
Elk Point was on the CN line which ran from Abiline to Heinsberg in NE Alberta. This elevator was built on the west side of the town in 1983, and was closed in 2001. It is now privately owned.
Etzikom is located at the end of the CP tracks which used to run from Stirling to the Saskatchewan border, and about 100 kilometres east of Stirling on highway 61. This elevator was built in 1988 by Alberta Wheat Pool, and was closed in 2001. It is now privately owned.
Foremost is located 26 kilometres west of Etzikom on highway 61. There are two Agricore elevators located here, and are owned by Frankish Farms Ltd.
Forestburg is on the CN line which runs from Camrose to Alliance. It is 34 kilometres east of Donalda on Highway 53. One of these elevators was originally a Searle (built in 1928), but was closed in the early 1990's and was used for storage, but appears abandoned. The other was built in 1927 by Alberta Wheat Pool, was replaced in 1954, and was closed in 2002. It is also abandoned.
Fort Macleod, Alberta
Fort Macleod is on the CP Crowsnest line which runs from the BC to Saskatchewan border in southern Alberta about 36 kilometres south of Claresholm on Highway 2. This elevator may have been built in 1918, became an Alberta Wheat Pool in 1972, and an Agricore in 1997. It is now closed.
Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
Fort Sask is located on the CN main line which runs from Edmonton to Lloydminister. This "buffalo bin" elevator is located on the north side of the city off Highway 37.
Halkirk was located on the CP line which ran from Stettler to the Saskatchewan border. It is about 34 kilometres east of Stettler on Highway 12. This elevator was built by UGG in 1918, and became a Alberta Wheat Pool in 1928. It closed in 2000.
Innisfree is located on the Edmonton - Lloydminister CN main line about 35 kilometres SE of Vegreville on Highway 16 and slightly north on Secondary 870. It is now privately owned by Alcor Farms Ltd.
Kitscoty is on the Edmonton - Lloydminister CN main line about 21 kilometres east of Lloydminister on Highway 16 and Secondary 897. This elevator has been closed since 2000, and it may be abandoned.
Legal is located about 20 kilometres north of Vegreville on Highway 2, and 2 kilometres east on Secondary 651. The two Agricore elevators were closed in 2000, and are both privately owned.
Lyalta is on the Drumheller - Calgary CN line, about 30 kilometres SSW of Irricana. This elevator is one of three of this type in Alberta. The other two are in Foremost and Boyle. It was closed in 2001, and sold to a malting company,
Magrath was located on the CP line which ran from Stirling to Glenwood in SW Alberta, about 24 kilometres south of Lethbridge, and 8 kilometres SW on Highway 5. The tracks were washed out east of Magrath on 2002, which resulted in all of the elevators in the town closing. Magrath had the first Buffalo Slope elevator in Alberta. The elevators are owned by Mr. Ben Walters.
Milk River, Alberta
Milk River is located on the Lethbridge - Coutts CP line about 80 kilometres SE of Lethbridge. This elevator is now privately owned.
This elevator is located on the CN Edmonton - Lloydminister line, about 21 kilometres NE of Vegreville on Highways 16 and 15, and is now privately owned.
Myrnam is located on the Edmonton- Lloydminister CP line about 31 kilometres east of Two Hills on Highway 45 and Secondary 881. It is now privately owned.
Niobe is on the Calgary-Edmonton CP line, about 3 kilometres north of Innisfail on highway 2A. It was built in 1982 by Alberta Wheat Pool, and closed in 2002. It is now owned by Canada Malting.
Sexsmith is located about 48 kilometres south of Rycroft on Highway 2, on the Savage Alberta rail line (formerly NAR, CN and Alberta Railnet). This elevator, along with two more, are all abandoned, and are all that remain of the original 8 elevators.
Starland (Morrin, Alberta)
This elevator is located 2 kilometres east and 3 kilometres south of Morrin. It was built in the late 1990's and was closed in 2002, It is now privately owned.
Stavely was on the Aldersyde - Kipp CP line, and is located about 21 kilometres SSE of Nanton on Highway 2. This elevator is now privately owned.
Strome is located on the Wetaskiwin - Provost CP line about 14 kilometres west of Killam on Highway-13. This elevator closed in 2000, and is privately owned.
Located 14 kilometres east of Coaldale on Highway 3, and on the CP Crowsnest Line, this elevator was originally an Alberta Pacific, is now privately owned.
Three Hills, Alberta
Three Hills is on the CN (formerly GTP) line running from Camrose to Calgary, and is on Highway 21 and Secondary 583. It was closed in 2001, and is presently abandoned.
Trochu is on the same railroad as Three Hills, and is located 13 kilometres north of Three Hills on Highway 21. It is privately owned.
Warner is 62 kilometres south of Lethbridge on Highway 4 and is on the Lethbridge - Coutts CP line. The elevators closed in 2001, and are now owned by Demeter Agro.
Waskatenau is at the end of the Lakeland and Waterways Railroad (Originally North Western Railway, Northern Alberta Railway and CN), and is on Highway 28 and Secondary 831 in NE Alberta. This elevator was built in 1929, and closed in 2002. It is now privately owned.
Willingdon is on the Edmonton - Lloydminister CP line, and is 9 kilometres ESE of Andrew on Highway 45. This elevator is the last of 6 elevators, and is now privately owned.