Sunday, January 22, 2006


The Pioneer Grain Company was established in 1913 by James Richardson & Sons, as a wholly owned subsidiary to operate the company's grain elevators.

Pioneer acquired the Sunny Belt Grain & Elevator Co in 1913, and in 1953 purchased the Independent Grain Co. Pioneer is still operating in 2006 in Alberta.

Pioneer had at least 135 known in Alberta, 10 operating left in 2006 (5 wood, 5 HTP)


Blackie is located on the main CP line which now runs from Aldersyde to Lethbridge. This elevator is still operated by Pioneer.


Nanton was located on the CP line which ran south of Aldersyde to Fort Macleod. It's two elevators, which were an Alberta Wheat Pool and a UGG. They are now being saved by Nanton for a museum.


Olds is located south of Red Deer on the main CP line between Calgary and Edmonton. This elevator is a HTP (High Throughput) elevator located south of Olds.


Oyen, located on the CN main line about 20 miles west of the Saskatchewan border in east central Alberta, has one Pioneer elevator left. Another HTP Pioneer is located about 2 miles east of Oyen.


Strome, located on the CP line east of Camrose, was closed December 31, 2005.


Sunnybrook is located at the end of the CP line which runs west of Leduc.
It was built in 1936, and is still in operation today.


Vulcan's Pioneer is the last of the famous "Nine in a line" elevators. It was originally built in 1917, and is still in operation (2005).